Monday, January 25, 2021

Review: A Very Large Expanse of Sea

A Very Large Expanse of Sea A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My entry for 2021 PopSugar Reading Challenge prompt: a book by a Muslim American author

More than five years ago, I did not finish Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me. It was too slow-paced for me, so I thought this book is the same thing. Woah! I am actually surprised by how good this book is.
This is probably my first book about Muslim immigrants in the USA (when 9/11 happened). It reminds me of the famous movie line "My Name is Khan and I'm not a terrorist" (love that movie, btw).
The main character is one of the most assertive people in literature that I know of. Actually, most characters here are tough (because they have to be), interesting and talented (I see you, Shirin's father).
I thought this is another romantic cliché I can live without. Well, they're adorable and wholesome and their chemistry is similar to Eleanor and Park. Will definitely read a sequel, if there's any.

content warning: profanity

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells My rating: 0 of 5 stars View all my reviews